But I'm not doing that. I'm getting on a plane for Atlanta today.
I figured today would be a good day to address the FAQ's. With a twist. Today I'm only supplying the answers, not the questions. You all can make up your own questions to fit the provided answers. Maybe we can have a contest. With a prize. Like whomever provides the most creative questions in the comments can win... My socks when I reach Harper's Ferry!
1) 2174.6 miles. Approximately.
2) since I was around 25 and I discovered Hiking. And Bill Bryson.
3) Formally for about 3-4 months. Informally since I was about 25.
4) Pepper spray.
5) No, nobody else I know is crazy enough to hike for 6 months straight.
6) 5 to 6 months.
7) No. I will carry it with me and stop at all you can eat buffets occasionally.
8) No. The trail is a place of peace. Plus, I would be way more dangerous with a firearm than without. But thanks.
9) in a tent or in shelters. Occasionally in a hostel or hotel.
10) Because it's there.